|Sun, Mar 26, 2017 06:23 AM
|Wednesday, March 8, 2017 issue
FLOYD COUNTY — Ten students and one alternate have been chosen for the Governor's Scholars Program this summer. These juniors will participate in a five-week, residential summer program that provides academic and personal growth in a challenging, non-traditional experience that balances a strong liberal arts program with a full co-curricular and residential life experience.
|Ten Floyd students chosen as Governor's Scholars|
Students test scores, grade point average, course load difficulty, teacher nominations, guidance counselor statements and a student essay are all part of the selection process.
Floyd County Governor's Scholars selected include:
• Katherine Adams, 17, daughter of Harry and Janie Adams of Prestonsburg.
• Brentton Akers, 17, son of Brian and Diane Akers of Grethel.
• Adam Chaffins, 17, son of Bobby and Linda Chaffins of Harold.
• Matthew Francis, 17, son of Drs. Bill R. and Demetra Francis. of Blue River.
• Leah Sharee Hopkins, 16, daughter of Melinda Osborne of Martin.
• David Joseph, 17, son of Jack and Jan Joseph of Prestonsburg.
• Mandy May, 16, daughter of Lon and Denise May of Prestonsburg.
• William May, 17, son of Billy and Ernestine May of Prestonsburg.
• Russell Morgan Salisbury, 17, son of Richard and Susan Salisbury of Eastern.
• Mat-thew Brent Watson, 17, son of Stanton and Joyce Watson of Garrett.
• Lesley E. Mullins was selected as the alternate for the Governor's Scholars program.
The scholars will participate in one of three sessions this summer, which are being held at Northern Kentucky University, Centre College and Eastern Kentucky University.